Wednesday, March 9, 2011

More Idiocy

Pain.

It's a word we all know well, yet we all explain differently. Pain, for some, is emotional - it is intangible and somewhat unrestricted by the physical environment of a person. For others, pain is a physical response to an undesirable sensation. It is that searing tingle that creeps up our fingertips when we touch something too hot, or that jolt of fear that shoots up the arm when we cut our palm while slicing vegetables.

Yet, whatever pain is to you, there is no denying when it is present.

And all I feel, right now, is pain. It just seeps through my body like its using my veins as some sort of cardiovascular highway. And I feel like no matter how many times I take my Acetaminophen #3 with Codeine in the allotted times, it's still there. I feel it scratching at my insides and permeating my entire body, but there's nothing I can do about. I can't cough, I can't laugh, I can't bend, I can't do anything that involves my core. Do you have any idea how many daily activities use the core of the human body?

Nearly every one.

The abdomen acts as a connector between the two major sections of appendages of the body - the arms and legs. It acts as the midpoint of the body from which the body gathers all of its nutritional energy to actually carry out its basic functions. And mine has a giant hole in it.

The most frustrating aspect of this entire operation, though, is the fact that all of my professors are more than understanding about my situation, except one. One professor, who believes his class is infinitely more important and difficult than any of my other classes. Newsflash, buddy; your class is more appropriate for 2nd graders than college students. I could, quite literally, miss the entire semester if I wanted to, take the midterm and final, and still ace the class. It's not like it's challenging. I've taken real college level science classes, and let me tell you, this environmental bullshit is like a walk in the park without actually having to walk.

Today, I got a letter in the mail from Harrington saying I was in danger of failing the aforementioned professor's class. The reason? Not turning in my assignments. We don't even HAVE homework in that class, let alone assignments. Not to mention the fact that the only assignment we HAVE had is a test that I was EXCUSED from because of my medical issue. Trust me when I tell you, Harrington, I would much rather be in class and suffer through this stupid-ass science class than be lying prone on a medical bed while my naval is chopped off.

To top off this lovely letter, I receive an email from the professor in response to an email I'd sent out to inform all of my instructors of my upcoming surgery and absences. His response was

"Chris,

You have missed too may of my classes.  I suggest that you drop the class.



****"


The classes I have missed were all excused absences. I have literally had it up to my eyeballs with the professional incompetence of some of Harrington's staff, so I simply responded as calmly but as firmly as I could.


Mr. ****,

I refuse to drop a class of such academic simplicity because of medical issues that are not only out of my control, but far beyond the control of the school or its staff. If there is an issue with my more than ample documentation, and you see it unfit to excuse my absences, please take it up with administration and Student Handbook. Otherwise, I will see you next Wednesday morning.

Thanks,

Christopher P Taylor



I'm trying to remain patient and not let this ruin my experience at Harrington, but I'm pretty much certain I won't be returning in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment